Denture Care & Cleaning
Start the Course
In this course, you’ll learn how to monitor or assist individuals who wear dentures with oral care—these tasks include caring for their dentures as well as caring for their mouths to maintain oral health. You’ll also learn how to help clients adjust to wearing dentures and overcome some of the nutritional challenges they face to maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
Course Topics Include:
• Describe different types of dentures.
• Describe how to monitor or assist individuals to remove, brush, soak, and inspect dentures.
• Describe how to monitor or assist individuals with oral health tasks.
• Identify symptoms of poorly fitted dentures and denture irritation.
• Describe ways to help individuals maintain a healthy diet and adjust to wearing dentures.
Contributors: The following professionals contributed to the creation of this course:
Arcora Foundation Staff: Diane Oakes, MPH, MSW; Dianne Riter, MPH; and Karen Lewis, BA
Content Experts: May Chin, RDH; Jenny Shuler, DA
Continuing Education: This course is approved for one credit hour by the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services.
Target Audience: This course is designed for licensed home care aides and other types of caregivers to increase the quality of oral health care delivered to clients or loved ones.
If you have questions or would like more information about this course, please contact Karen Lewis at klewis@ArcoraFoundation.org or 206-528-7344.